"Manaccora range, 16.30" is the eighth novel, published in 2009 by French writer Philippe Jaenada, hailed by critics and the Prix de Flore for his novel "The Wild Camel."
Voltaire, writer forties, spends his summer vacation in southern Italy with his wife and their son Umm Geo.
But an event quickly interrupts the holidays: a forest fire is declared in the middle of this arid region exposed to the scorching sun and scattered pines.
Like other vacationers, Voltaire and his family are trapped in a fire that is spreading at a breakneck speed and pushes them to flee from one point to another, for a respite always short.
" For us, the world now is reduced to a piece of beach. There was nothing before us, just a statue of the Virgin and impenetrable green wall, and nothing behind a barrier of flames then black desolation.
Nothing else could we use that setting this bit of beach, which narrowed. "p.147
I do know that Philip Jaenada name and when Cecilia gave me this novel, I did not know at all what it was about.
As you will understand, "Manaccora range, 16.30" is a disaster story.
It does not take long for the reader to guess that a misfortune and prepares for into action.
The different characters are barely sketched at the beginning and one guesses that the author's interest is to examine through the prism of an extreme situation to reveal their true personalities.
Some brave show, others much less. Among them is Voltaire, the narrator, who appears as a man hidden behind a woman accustomed to shoulder all the responsibilities of the couple. As the danger and tension rise, it will gradually assert itself in its role as a father seeking to protect his people, why we forgive him his little cowardice.
" - Umm! (I'm a little late, but it was released.)
- should I help the lady!
I wanted to say something like:" Let her, she has lived! ", but this time I restrained myself. But it was really what I thought: I could not find normal that we should die trying to save an old woman. I did not want jeopardize the life of my son (and that of his parents, let's be honest) so that this brave grandmother still four or five more years on earth.
I continued to advance with Geo, slowing anyway just not to abandon Um. I saw the woman I loved behind, my reason for being, amid flames and smoke, and it opened my bowels - all that I managed to think was: "Let the grill, and you able to spin. " (It is in difficult situations we understand that we are less altruistic than hoped. I was forced to admit at this point, and for the rest of my days, I was not willing to risk death, let alone my wife and my son, to save someone. Shame, but that's life.) "p.60
But this position is a trap: fear and Voltaire hiding behind memories and second degree relative to what he saw.
The author therefore gratifies anecdotes that not only get acquainted with Voltaire and his endearing relationship with death but also have the advantage of breaking the fast pace of the narrative, relieve tension , the drive to breathe (much like an episode of "Lost," schizophrenia and less). A narrative
wiser choice for me who am not enamored of stories apocalyptico-anxiety (I am inhuman, you did not know?)
" Before we left quite parking, a loud bang exploded glass has stopped: the tattooed bald revolved around cars had thrown a stone (I guess) in the window of a small red Fiat. He opened the door and dived under the wheel, certainly to pull and connect son (I think I would ever get to try it, but I would like, we should feel gangster casual camera self - and fuck 'em all). It must be a thug in the city, a small neighborhood robber (we think not, but they have every right to go swimming from time to time). It is sometimes very useful as training, it gives a clear advantage over others when it These are the hell out of this trap.
Under the incredulous eyes of undecided (not a tourist trembling not ventured up beside him, the thugs have their own codes and unpredictable - "Vire me your shorts here, dad, or I'll bleed like a sheep "), he started in seconds, everyone being conscious that he was condemned to death a nice little family still in the climb (" Go slowly, grandma, it was time "), and was made beautiful with a bang - a whirlwind of Fiat, everything is relative, Fuck them all, toothless smile.
(Two days later, in La Gazzetta del Mezzogiorno , I would read three lines on the anonymous corpse found burned in the carcass of a Fiat. Friends of mobsters shop, in Naples, wonder where it went.) "p.128
For the rest, the leg of the author is right there: adult humor, long sentences crossings parentheses even double parentheses, a style that I had to tame it with some difficulty.
I found some long sentences and it is not uncommon that I ought to break down some to get to understand their meaning.
Another downside : The End! I would have preferred that the author had stuck to the return home of Voltaire and his family, false scares (the problem of boat and the parachute incident for those who read it) I think not adding anything to the story.
" habit, though, also good, I thought. It highlights the memories. I love the memories, that's about all we have of course , intimate and dense, a valuable collection, inaccessible, in,: they polish themselves without thinking, and take the good and bad, a charge of reassuring sweetness, far away, an envelope amiable.
They remain there, we can enjoy whenever you want. I like seeing myself in the past, remember what I was, what I did at that place where I am now older, I am moved every single noodle. "p.16
So I had a crush on the author's humor, but much less for the story in its entirety. I intend to read" Life and Death a blonde girl "already in my PAL and why not" The Wild Camel?
"beach Manaccora, 16.30" is part of the French selection QD9 Award launched by Cecile . Other Notice: Amanda Meyre - CécileQD9 - Yv - Cunéipage - The ogress - Cathulu
0 comments:
Post a Comment