Released in 2008 in the USA and translated into French in 2009, "Faces" is the third novel by the writer American Jesse Kellerman.
Ethan Muller, 32, runs an art gallery in Chelsea. When Tony, the right arm of his father, invited him to move to admire the drawings of an artist, Ethan begins to refuse given the tenuous links he has with his father.
Finally, intrigued, got into a taxi to Tony in a gloomy apartment located in Queens.
There, he discovered hundreds of boxes filled with drawings numbered faces of children representing a disturbing realism.
artist Victor crack, but disappeared despite the success of her show, Ethan is not decided to stop there.
Helped by a retired inspector and his daughter, he discovers that these drawings evoke every feature several murdered children many years earlier.
But where is hidden Victor crack?
"Faces" was my first experience with the audio book and I do not know if this is due to the specificity of that size or density of this story, but this first attempt was quite laborious for me. The housing
announced a total of 14h. So I scheduled a listening spread over a week for 2 hours per day. Nay!
Ensconced in my couch, I started on my first time listening.
While I let myself be sucked into the narrator's voice, I quickly searched for what to do with my hands, something I could not really explain because this kind of concern does not arise when I watch a movie. The position of
reader listening to a story through player exposes a certain passivity in the sense that there is no "effort to read" as is the case when we have to identify each word in a paper book.
short, after one hour, I let the matter to return to my traditional object "Guttenberg" to quote another. This novel has
unfortunately been listening jerky and, by thinking about it, I tell myself that (too slow) progress of history has certainly played a role in depression.
I renew the experience, however, probably with a shorter book.
"Faces" appears as the confession of Ethan Muller, a thirty experienced as narcissistic and cynical of its kind to take a critical look at everything and everyone.
Since the narration is done in an oral style led to the first person, I found that in this sense the novel lends itself quite well to listen.
While initially there is talk of an investigation, I tended to forget this aspect of history as what I thought was digressions were coming from all sides. Several interludes
involved in the story so that I would describe as (and especially) the family saga novel.
Indeed, it is highly question of the Muller family and ancestors of Ethan. Puzzled at first, I wondered what could motivate the author to prepare his bridges pedigree.
Then I realized how they were related to the case who was Ethan.
But I will not elaborate on this aspect of history at the risk of revealing the thread of the plot.
The reader follows therefore Ethan in his investigation that goes with a quest for identity. In addition to two women who are causing a lot of trouble, Ethan's life seems to be guided by two things: hatred of his father and the art, particularly that of Victor Cracke vis-à-vis which it feeds an obsession.
It is not uncommon Ethan expresses his opinion on what should or should not be the art by referring to figures such as Duchamp or Borges, and that raises the whole superficiality of high society in which it operates a world in which art is more of what he perceived to represent (financially) than for what it is.
But the investigation in all this? What about Victor crack, his drawings and murdered children? That is where the hurt down to me.
I found the survey progress too slow, I was annoyed by the words of Ethan that raised more new questions than answers.
To believe that the narrator - Ethan - (and author) seemed to find pleasure in this story take long to be able to monopolize the attention of the reader as long as possible, which agrees well with the end of egocentrism 'Ethan.
I found the writing of Jesse Kellerman particularly careful, precise (Sometimes too), I loved the portrait of Victor Cracke and considerations on art in general, but my enthusiasm has been hampered by the extreme slowness of the investigation. Too bad ... Full
other opinions BOB!
THANK
for giving me this book!
0 comments:
Post a Comment