After several novels like the famous "Testament to the English" or "The House of Sleep," "The Rain Before It Falls" is the eighth and last novel to date, published in 2007 and translated into French in 2009, the British writer Jonathan Coe.
Following the death of her aunt Rosamond, Gill returned to Shropshire to attend the funeral and empty home.
Then he enters the scene, she comes across photo albums as well as many tapes recorded by Rosamond shortly before his death. A note on one of the boxes: "Gill, These tapes are for Imogen. If you can not find it, listen to yourself."
Imogen, the little blind girl that Gill had met once, was not found. Gill also undertakes Does listening to records that contain 20 descriptions made from old photos and say a lot about the past each other ...
Jonathan Coe I knew only by name but seeing the reviews posted here and there on this novel, I was eager to get acquainted with this author!
"The Rain Before It Falls" is a testament to the legacy of Rosamond small Imogen.
I loved the narrative pattern of this novel. Since it is about 20 pictures more or less, the chapters was a natural. The narrative is not linear because if provided anecdotes follow, they do not like.
course initially it comes to Rosamond of his best describe the various elements of the photo opportunity for the author to summon images of a tiny precision and certainly give some relief to the story.
The details provided by Rosamond did nothing harmless and contribute to develop behind the scenes, the reading levels of each picture to lift the chilly climate that surrounds the various characters. The
About Rosamond prove tinged with a melancholy that is not immune to a certain cynicism, nothing more natural when one knows the ins and outs of this story traversed by three generations of women who lack of maternal love is sorely lacking.
unloved, irresponsible, Whimsical, all have chosen to prefer a man to their own child, for a finger licking, unfortunately too late, and give place to the next.
And in the middle of bowling, Rosamond, the woman who will try his whole life to clean up the mess, always looking for affection, and would systematically manipulated and poorly received. One woman remained still sentimental and that we can only focus.
I was blown away by the faculty of the author to capture a subject as female ... even in his most intimate sphere, a gift that I had previously found that in Stefan Zweig.
One also feels in Jonathan Coe's increased desire for determinism in this way to present these different fates as bound by a spell unwavering.
the extent this fatality appears to be the thread of the story, I was not unduly disturbed unless - and this is the only downside of this novel to me - at the very end of the history when it comes to yet another coincidence (these / those who read it will remember the episode of the dog!) which I found far too big and that I think was superfluous. This small flat
aside, I was really delighted by reading this!
"I remember Thea frowned meditating these words, and then she proclaimed:" Well, I like the rain before it falls. "Rebecca 's is simply smiled, but I have replied (somewhat pedantic, I suppose): "You know, darling, before it falls, it's not really rain. - What is it then? "And I said:" That's the damp, nothing more. Moisture in the clouds. "Thea dropped her eyes again and was busy sorting the stones from the beach: it picked up two and started beating them against each other.
She seemed to find pleasure in the sound and contact. I continued: "You see, it does not rain before it falls, or it does not rain."
was a bit ridiculous to try to explain that to a child, and I regretted myself started there. But Thea seemed to have no trouble grasping this concept - quite the contrary: after a few moments, she looked at me with pity, shaking his head as if it was stressful for her to discuss these matters with someone One of too obtuse.
"Although sure it does not exist, she said. It's good for that it's my favorite. One thing does not need to exist to make people happy, right? "
And then she ran into the water with a smile from ear to ear, delighted that his logic has garnered him so insolent victory. "p.164
" The Rain Before It Falls "was a joint reading with liliB I thank I expected and discover the ticket queue.
Thank for Choco this gift in Brussels:)
Other opinions BOB!
0 comments:
Post a Comment