"Psychopolis and Other Stories" is a new set of 3 from the first book of British writer Ian McEwan, "First Love, Last Rites" reissued under the title "Under the sheets and other news "published in 1975.
"Masks" evokes the relationship that Henry was a boy of 10 years, and his aunt Mina, a former stage actress who at the death of his sister was entrusted the education of his nephew.
Raised by this fantastic woman and even completely frappadingue Henry nevertheless appreciates his talents as a storyteller and actress and folds in all its extravagance, accepting every night on his return from school ritual of donning the costume that she was prepared to spend the evening. Mina
But when asked to dress as a girl, Henry refuses to play the game ..
"Pornography" is the story of O'Byrne, a confident man who runs a pornographic bookstore with his brother and is having an affair with two women who do not know but work as nurses in the same hospital .
O'Byrne will be a victim of his trickery and learn the hard way that this kind of betrayal may cost him dearly ...
"Psychopolis" evokes the fates of several characters, 3 men and a woman, who will gather together in one evening at the outcome for the least strange.
Having heard much of Ian McEwan in recent months on the blogosphere, I was tempted by this book to get acquainted with the author.
After reading, I can now say that this idea was not my best.
The author takes us into a universe in which the impulses (often of a scatological but not only ...) and power relations dominant-dominated govern the behavior of his characters. The aunt who shows an unhealthy taste for disguises to impose his nephew to the man about to undergo the vengeance of his two mistresses still manages to bend. All characters have a tendency "natural" (meaning that they never called into question their actions) to perversion and disobedience.
result is an unhealthy atmosphere, glaucous perfectly provocative writing made by the author.
Unfortunately, I found these characters a little too "zombies." They seem to move his head down, running to their doom without asking any questions and without any morality that does stands in their way.
malaise has taken hold of me during my reading, but it will be quickly forgotten ...
" Mary worked in a feminist bookshop in Venice which it also owned shares. That's when I met her at lunchtime, the day after my arrival in Los Angeles.
The same evening we were lovers and, quite soon after, friends. The following Friday, I kept chained by one foot in my bed all weekend.
was, she told me, a something she "had to do to get free." I remember (Later, in a bar full of people) snatching a solemn promise not to listen if she claimed to be detached.
Anxious to please my new friend, I bought a nice chain and padlock. With brass screws, I fixed a ring in the wood of my bed, and the matter was settled.
few hours later, she wanted her freedom at any cost and, despite some embarrassment, I got up, took a shower, I dressed, I put on my slippers, and I brought him a large skillet to urinate. "p.93
0 comments:
Post a Comment