"Fragments", published in October 2010, is a compilation of poems, letters and intimate texts written by American actress Marilyn Monroe between 1943 and 1962.
I received this book in hard collector for Christmas and at my request because I was eager to discover another facet of this woman confined mainly to its status as a figurehead of actress-girlfriend and therefore inevitably by some decerebrate .
I expected a lot from this book and I must say that I was a bit disappointed by what I found.
Admittedly, this is a beautiful book. The collector's version offers an attractive red binding and superb photos printed on glossy paper.
The layout allows air smooth playback and everyone will appreciate the concern of the publisher to offer each of these fragments in a bilingual version while specifying that the translations were sometimes subject to interpretation clearly marked in red text and left to the discretion of the reader.
Well, that said, is that there be exactly in this book?
Again, the publisher said he had tried to include the best Marilyn's writings over time by classifying them in chronological order.
The book opens with a text written at the age of 17 years and recalling her marriage with James Dougherty, who allowed him to escape the orphanage.
This text already contains all the premises of a woman whom one feels disappointed by love, a shy, fragile and deeply insecure trying to cling to life by trying to grasp the meaning and 'y define its role.
Whether in his poems or in his notes, Marilyn Monroe evokes great fears: the fear of disappointing for a role, not to be intellectually at the height of her husband Arthur Miller, age or ending up in a mental asylum as was the case with his mother and grandmother.
" everyone's childhood is replayed all the time. No wonder nobody knows each other or can not fully understand. I do not know if I reach this conclusion with any drop - or if for the first time maybe I'm connected with reality -
how do we know the suffering of the early years of each other without talking about everything he drags with him as at best a wide margin is necessary for each other and yet how it's unhealthy to bear.
I think the best thing is to love and accept bravely - as much as we can bear. "p.155
Through notes written on different media (calendar, letterhead, hotel notebooks barely begun, leaflets, page directory) to self-motivation, the young woman was trying to channel their fears. It is not uncommon that it speaks of concentration and discipline on his behavior on the set as in her private life.
If writing has a predominantly chaotic appearance, the reader discovers However, a woman of extreme lucidity, capable of emotional intelligence that drives most of the time jumping into disarray, a victim of its sensitivity all on edge.
" After a year of analysis. With the help assistance. Using. I feel that life is approaching when all I want is to die. Cri - You started and finished in the air, but where was the middle? " p.163
I was particularly touched by a letter written during his confinement a year before his death in which she evokes the dehumanization that experienced by patients.
We are light years of the icon that appeared yet so sure of herself on screen!
This woman appears depressed, perfectionist, always late, kneaded jitters complexed and intellectually so that most of his writings, far from evoking its report to the body, are primarily written notes to herself, the reminder to continuously improve.
I turn to the subject of my disappointment. The book is crossed by numerous pictures showing Marilyn in writing or in conversation with leading writers. So I was expecting
to find in this book of reading notes and reflections on his many encounters with men of letters. Now the young woman took the pen to be particularly recall his moods when morale was down and as she said herself, she did not read in a crisis and trying to find all the answers before her.
So I was disappointed by this false sense of demands, the desire to rehabilitate intellectual clearing the many photos in the book and who, failing to illustrate the words of Marilyn Monroe, just "fill holes" .
Nevertheless, I really appreciated discover the bits of life of this complex woman even if I sometimes seemed to lack some keys to power all understand.
But, in the words of Marilyn Monroe:
" Only fragments of one day affect us fragments of others. The truth of someone in reality it is the truth of someone. One can only share the fragment acceptable to know each other. Thus it is almost always alone.
As is the case clearly in nature - at best perhaps our comprehension Could he find the solitude of another. "P.45
Another view: Niki
0 comments:
Post a Comment